STEERING GROUP – Monday 21st January 2019

 

The Steering Group had a wide-ranging and robust discussion last week when the following was agreed:

 

1. Because we remain confident in our ability to dismantle SCDC’s evidence base at the Inspector’s Hearing in June, we will continue to work closely with our professional advisers to ensure the strongest possible case for submission to the Inspector.

 

2. At the same time, we will ask our planning consultancy to develop an alternative proposal determining (i) the true need for any further employment land and, following on from that, (ii) the overall number/types of new dwellings needed throughout the SCDC constituency

 

3. As a supplementary strategy, we will also support the election of our own independent District Councillor candidates at the election to be held on 2nd May 2019. Except that we will not wish to challenge the candidates from any political party if they are prepared to commit to acting in accordance with our published Core Values.

 

KATCAG CHAMPIONS MEETING – SUMMARY OF ACTIONS AGREED

 

We also reviewed the suggestions arising from the KATCAG Champions meeting and agreed to take various actions as follows:

 

Suggestion - How to mobilise younger people – reach out to Suffolk University, attendees at courses which could extend to Activity/Sports Clubs

Action - We have appointed a member of the Steering Group to identify points of contact within as many ‘young person’ groups as we can think of. We will make contact with them during the next week / 10 days

 

Suggestion - Obtain ‘Charitable Status’

Action - We have looked at this again and are advised by our solicitor this would not be the right thing to do

 

Suggestion - Paul (Kirton) - Obtain funding via social media. Suggest bullet point approach refunding, need to quickly engage

Kevin (Kirton) – Investigate ‘crowdfunding’ possibilities

Action - Done - An appeal at GoFundMe is to be launched later today or tomorrow

 

Suggestion - Jane (Kirton) – Make use of the ‘Triangle’ in Felixstowe to make public aware.

(A lady) - Use ‘Pop-Up’ office on Kirton Green – need to be visible every now and then.

Action - Becca has ordered 3 additional banners and we’re planning a transportable Gazebo with KATCAG banners on all 4 sides. We’re planning Saturday morning drop-in sessions throughout the area. Volunteers to help man it will be welcomed.

 

Suggestion - (Jane) Kirton - continue with foot-slogging, leafleting – need to be more visible/out there

(A lady) – Leafletting to advise those not on the internet what is going on, believes there are many in Kirton who do not really know what is going on

(Liz – Trimley St Martin) – Produce a Newsletter, need for bullet points to maintain the momentum of interest and what we are seeking to achieve. Need to be more visible. People do not want to read too much hence bullet points. Believes about a third of Trimley St Martin population are without a computer.

Action - Visibility and leafleting considered good, but personal contact better, where possible. Agreed the postcodes of KATCAG Champions will be mapped this week and 25 households allocated to each Champion with a view to making one-to-one contact. KATCAG will provide briefing notes and support materials. Champions to say if they can handle more.

 

! WE NEED MORE CHAMPIONS PLEASE!

 

Suggestion - (Becca) – Set up PO Box to receive contributions/communications for those without computer/not comfortable with online transactions

Action - Should be in place by this coming weekend

 

Suggestion - (Caroline - used to run internet business) – Insufficient communications from KATCAG with those who have expressed interest. Need more regular contact, updates, seeking funding. In her business, it generally needed at least ‘7 touches’ before that person would ‘buy’

(A lady) – Prepare a newsletter, ask businesses to advertise – help with costs

Action - We have increased our ’bulk email’ facility from 3/month to 20/month and we identified a person who could be asked to attend our Steering Group meetings / write a weekly update letter. We will look further at how best to obtain greater support from local businesses

 

Suggestion - (Various) - Ask businesses such as Roselea Garden Centre, Goslings, possibly Sausage Shop, if they will display notices advising what is taking place and when.

Action - This particular suggestion generated a lot of interest but we haven’t yet worked out the best way of moving on it

 

Suggestion - Join forces with ‘Save Felixstowe’ (Fair Play For Felixstowe)

Action - Stephen Wrinch and Nigel Palmer communicate regularly and both groups have agreed to share the cost of a planning consultancy where areas of common interest are being considered. We support them totally, but can’t join with them formally because money raised by each group was for a specific purpose.

 

Suggestion - (A man) – Use Parish Magazine to circulate updates – Apparently Kirton & Falkenham Church Review is circulated to two-thirds of the local residents

Action – This has been put in hand since the meeting

 

Suggestion - (A man) – enquired about the use of Twitter

Action - Ryan advises there has been no response via Twitter and to engage with people on Twitter, messages need to be extremely brief. This said, he is looking into how we can adapt to use this media as well